Mary Washington Hospital
About the Hospital
Located in the City of Fredericksburg since 1899, Mary Washington Hospital (MWH) is a 471-bed full service regional medical center offering advanced services. More than 400 physicians and health professionals represent 45 medical specialties. Part of Mary Washington Healthcare, the hospital is a Level II Trauma Center and has also achieved ANCC Magnet® recognition since 2009 for its exceptional nursing care.
Certified Primary Stroke Center: Providing stroke patients with the highest level of treatment and services according to national standards since 2009. These services include stroke care, education and prevention programs, and full continuum of care from hospitalization through rehabilitation.
Comprehensive Oncology Services: the very latest radiation oncology technologies such as the “true beam,” “rapid arc,” and stereotactic radiosurgery through the Regional Cancer Center.
Level III NICU: The region’s most experienced Level III NICU partners with Children’s National to provide 24/7 staff of world-class neonatologists for babies born as early as 24 weeks. The Level II NICU at Stafford Hospital provides care for babies born as early as 33 weeks.
Advanced Cardiac Services, including cardiac surgery, cardiac catheterization, comprehensive heart failure program, and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation.
Numerous additional services are available through the hospital’s parent organization, Mary Washington Healthcare.
Mary Washington Hospital has an impressive list of advanced certifications including:
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- American College of Radiology for MRI, CT, nuclear medicine, ultrasound, and radiation oncology
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- American Diabetes Association
- The Joint Commission Advanced Primary Stroke Center
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- American College of Surgeons Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) for Surgical Weight Loss Program
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) accreditation for MWH Echocardiography Laboratory in the area(s) of Adult Transesophageal and Adult Transthoracic.
- Certification of Autism Care from the International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards (IBCCES) for Mary Washington Pediatric Therapy, a department of Mary Washington Hospital
Awards & Recognitions
MWH has received numerous awards and designations for its care, including:
- MWH Primary Stroke Center: Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award from the American Hospital Association
- MWH Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) program: Only TAVR program in state of Virginia to receive highest category of quality, a 3-star ranking, from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the American College of Cardiology.
- MWH Orthopedic Surgery Program: Total Hip Replacement Five-Star Recipient (2016–2023), Total Knee Replacement Five-Star Recipient (2017–2023)