- Mary Washington Healthcare
Mary Washington Healthcare
About the Healthcare System
More than 100 years ago, Mary Washington Hospital began as an eight-room community hospital in Fredericksburg. Today it has evolved into a not-for-profit regional system - Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC), comprised of two hospitals (Mary Washington Hospital and Stafford Hospital) and 28 healthcare facilities throughout the region including Fredericksburg Ambulatory Surgery Center, Medical Imaging of Fredericksburg locations, the Emergency and Outpatient Center at Lee’s Hill, NextCare Urgent Care centers and MWHC laboratories.
The institution is the largest private employer in the region with over 5,000 employees and 500 physicians on the hospitals’ medical staffs.
Mission & Foundation
MWHC’s mission is to improve the health status within the communities it serves. The not-for-profit corporation reinvests its profits back into the organization through services and technologies and staff education and training. The Mary Washington Hospital Foundation and Stafford Hospital Foundation provide grants to a number of local organizations that offer crucial healthcare outreach programs, including the Lloyd F. Moss Free Clinic which serves those who are unable to pay for private healthcare.
In 2010, MWHC contributed almost $17 million toward community health education programs and services, $32 million in charity and uncompensated care and over $27 million in unreimbursed Medicare treatments.
Awards & Recognitions
Many of MWHC’s facilities and programs are distinguished for their excellent service and patient satisfaction:
- For more than a decade, Fredericksburg Ambulatory Surgery Center has ranked in the top 1% of similar surgery centers nationwide for patient satisfaction.
- The Imaging Center for Women and the Emergency Department at Lee’s Hill are also national leaders in patient satisfaction.
- National Spirit of Women Hospital Network - National Standards of Excellence Certification, MWHC is the only Virginia system to achieve this certification.
- Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) - 2012 Outstanding Achievement Award, MWHC is one of only five centers in Virginia.
- American Heart Association - 2013 Get With The Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award, 5th consecutive year.
Community Health Information Resource
The Community Health Information Resource is offered by Mary Washington Hospital Foundation and is meant to help the public with collecting relevant information on community health issues and develop concrete actions to improve targeted areas of interest. There are over 100 health and quality of life indicators at the county and zip code level as well as over 1,000 community-level interventions.
The tool also provides multiple features to help you work collaboratively with others to effect change. The resources in this tool will support the easy identification of a community’s strengths and weaknesses and enables the sharing of best practices to address the high human and financial costs of poor health. Mary Washington Hospital Foundation is pleased to make this tool available to the community as we partner together to improve the health of our communities.