What distance criteria must a business meet?

A tourist oriented business/site location is eligible for signing at intersections within one mile of a non-controlled access city primary system highway. City staff will review and determine proper distance if less then one mile. Such signs may be installed on the approach of intersections or further in advance as sight distance requires. Intersection signs must be 200 feet minimum in advance of intersection and minimum 200 feet spacing between such signs.

Advance sign spacing is increased to 500 feet. Also, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) states that regulatory, warning, and guide signs take priority over tourist oriented signs if spacing or visibility is a conflict. Also, Right of Way (ROW) may be an issue due to the size of the signs and the required clear zone (lateral) offsets.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Tourist Oriented business?
2. Where are the structures placed?
3. Can gas, food, and lodging establishments participate in the program?
4. What distance criteria must a business meet?
5. What size are the signs?
6. How much will it cost to participate in the program?
7. Can seasonal businesses participate in the program?
8. Once I am in the program, can my sign(s) be removed?
9. How will the signs be maintained?