Mary Washington Hospital
About the Hospital
Located in the City of Fredericksburg throughout its 100+ year history, Mary Washington Hospital (MWH) is a 437-bed full service regional medical center offering advanced services. More than 400 physicians and health professionals represent 45 medical specialties. Part of Mary Washington Healthcare, the hospital is a Level II Trauma Center and is one of only 15 in Virginia to achieve Magnet Status for its exceptional nursing care.
Its Centers of Excellence offer specialized advanced care in five key specialty areas:
- Virginia Heart and Vascular Institute: a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic cardiac and vascular procedures including electrophysiology and open heart surgery.
- Comprehensive Oncology Services: the very latest radiation oncology technologies such as the “true beam,” “rapid arc,” and “stereotactic radiosurgery through the Regional Cancer Center.
- The Human Motion Institute: high quality, focused approaches to total joint replacement and other orthopedic needs.
- The Neuroscience Center: state-of-the-art care including behavioral health services, sleep medicine, stroke care and neurosurgery.
- The Women’s Health Institute: comprehensive care to new mothers and their babies, including a Level II Nursery and a Level III NICU, and care for women throughout their lives with advanced services such as minimally invasive surgeries.
Numerous additional Services are available through the hospital’s parent organization Mary Washington Healthcare.
Mary Washington Hospital has an impressive list of advanced certifications including:
- Advanced Certification in Heart Failure by the Joint Commission
- Advanced Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission
- Certification in Knee Replacement Surgery by the Joint Commission
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- American College of Radiology for MRI, CT, Mammography, Nuclear Medicine, PET, Ultrasound, stereotactic breast biopsy, and radiation oncology services
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- Intersocietal Commission Accreditation for nuclear and vascular laboratories
- Blue Distinction Center for Hip and Knee Replacements by Blue Cross Blue Shield for its to quality care to patients
In addition, MWH has teamed up with internationally renowned Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. to provide world class pediatric care to infants, children and adolescents. MWH has also teamed with the University of Virginia Health System to provide open heart surgery and stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS). MWH is one of only 30 cancer centers in the world to offer this sophisticated level of cancer treatment.
Awards & Recognitions
MWH has received numerous awards and designations for its care, including:
- Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award to the MWH Primary Stroke Center from the American Hospital Association
- Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association’s 2011 Community Benefit Award to the Virginia Heart and Vascular Institute’s Heart Failure Clinic